Monday, January 9, 2012

The Yucatan Peninsula, Art History Blog 1


In early 2001 I spent nearly two weeks in the Yucatan Peninsula exploring the ancient ruins strewn throughout the area.  I explored the popular, Chichen Itza, Coba, Tulum as well as some less well known pyramids and cenotes (underground rivers).   While watching National Geographic documentaries of the area, the true impressive nature of the past native cultures is not felt until you physically visit the areas.  Chichen Itza is a magnificent monument that espouses the sheer power of the culture that built the temples.   Chichen Itza itself when you walk onto the ground is powerful and inspiring; the recognition that the cultures that built these massive temples were much more advanced then modern society grants them.   The complex social, economic and political infrastructure that would be needed in order to build such monuments sets in quickly.   Not only the architectural significant but the shear man power and time to build the great pyramids on the Yucatán peninsula are breath taking.  
The reverence for the natural process surround the Mayans in depicted in their monuments and statues, they understood they were simply inhabitants of their land not the whole owners of it.   Their heavy reliance and deep religious beliefs in natural deities also brought out about the sinister nature of mankind with stained sacrificial altars still exhibiting the massive bloodshed that took place.   
I was greatly saddened though as I drove my rental jeep throughout the Yucatan of how poverty and the reverence for nature by modern day Mayans has seemed to have passed.   At the time the teaching, speaking, reading and writing of the Mayan language was a crime and the living conditions of the natives was putrid at best.    The culture that seems to have praised their natural world in their past today sees their villages and roadsides littered with an abundance of plastic bottles and raw trash.   The plight of the local indigenous population of the Yucatan is a sad sight which at times took precedence over the impressive monuments of their distant culture.    
Although in my two weeks in the Yucatan p3eninsula I was somewhat shocked by the living conditions and state of the environment, I was amazed by the resilience and continued Mayan culture that some of the locals exhibit,  stepping away from the more tourist centered areas I found a rich culture that still adheres to many of the Mayan beliefs.  I was able to witness several young men rehearsing for a ceremony dressed in Mayan war garb, complete with body paint, headdresses and clothing adorned with feathers.   It is a shame that the Mexican government insists on suppressing their distant past as it is should be a source of great national pride which if embraced may be a source of new invigoration and economic spirit which can help bring the impoverished area new hope bringing from the shadows a great tradition of culture and art that has been suppressed since the Mayan culture faded into history.

9 comments:

  1. Aric, it seems you had a very enlightening journey south and I aspire to take one myself one day for the many reasons you explained in beautiful detail in your blog. I would not like to just take a vacation to to sit on a pampered resort beach, but to experience the powerful presence of the ancient cultures' spiritual connections with their surroundings reflected in astounding art, agriculture and architectural accomplishments that, as you have said, is often underestimated by modern society. It is a very different experience to only visit a place than to understand and know about its many secrets. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aric,
    Looks like you visited some very interesting locations. Yeah I would definitely like to travel to Mexico and South America if I ever got the chance. Unfortunately I never got to visit the surrounding countries of Bulgaria. However, I am planning to take a little Euro trip once I am done with my AA degree, hopefully this spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hopefully one day i have the opportunity to visit mexico, to see all these beutiful places that your talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry! It was really cool to read the story and about all the experiences you have had down there. It really is a shame how the environment is treated down there and it's too bad the native way of thinking about it has changed so much. In time with awareness maybe things can change for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By far your entry was the best one i have read.i have always wanted to head into the Yucatan but was always short on cash and time to do so. your blog however gives me some interesting insight into the life and experience of the area and i must say apart from the living conditions of the local population and the current civil issues i am only more thrilled to travel and see the area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed what Aric has to say in his blog. I have traveled around mexico and although I was close to chichen itza I did not get to visit it. The next time I go it will definitely be a stop I make. I did however get to see and snorkel in some awesome fresh water cenotes and it was truly a breathtaking experience. also like Aric said I saw quite a bit of poverty in many small communities around where I was staying which is sad to see. Hopefully the economy there picks up and people are lent a helping hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very enlightening blog. Your description of Chichen Itza was very passionate. I am looking forward to traveling there as well and hope to feel the same passion as you have. It is an amazing task, the building of these many different pyramids thousands of years ago. I always wonder whose idea was it? How did they come up with these structures and how did they know where to start! Amazing to me!! On the other hand the poverty and litter are truly visible to all to see. It is a very sad to me to hear of these horrific conditions. On a happy note glad to hear your experiences in the smaller villages and their support of their ancestors rituals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aric, the stories of your travels have enlightened and inspired me. I am graduating college this june and after a couple months more of saving, I am buying a one way ticket back to central america. I plan to travel around central and south america for an indefinite amount of time and explore the culture of the area. Your blog is great to read and I hope to be writing similar stories of my own very soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is amzing that you have been ab;e to travel and see all the places first hand. I dream of traveling as you did and hope to go there myself one day. When I was young my dream was always to travel to places like this and somehow help those in poverty. Your blog was interesting to read of your experience, and I hope to write about my own soon!

    ReplyDelete