Monday, March 12, 2012

Aztec Masks

The Aztec masks are beautiful creations illustrating their deep convictions for their gods because they utilized jade, their most valuable mineral, in the masks construction.  The Aztecs like modern day people seem to have recognized the necessity to separate their personal lives from their public lives.  I would imagine that the King and Religious leaders invoked the masks in order to present themselves as the living form of whatever deities masks they were wearing.  I find it interesting that the use of such masks was seen by the people as the connection between the real and supernatural world as if their leaders were really incarnates of the gods during ceremonies.

We most certainly wear masks in our daily lives.  I know that I compartmentalize the daily facets of my life putting on different faces in order to interact in society each day.  I suppose that it is a survival instinct in the form of a defense mechanism being mentally aware that we are in the "urban jungle". 

No comments:

Post a Comment